‘Sorry’ – Never underestimate its power

I’m not the kind of person comfortable with saying sorry to anyone - even if I am wrong. Like most other people, I believed it was a word reserved for losers. The winners always get to extract ‘sorry’ from others, right?

But today, I realize I have been wrong about it all these years. Saying ‘sorry’ is not a sign of weakness. It takes a lot of guts to say sorry to someone deep from the heart.

Usually if someone provokes me – verbally or physically – my instinctive response is to hit back harder, is to hurt them even more. The outcome never mattered. I just didn’t want to be considered weak.

But now I know staying calm requires patience. Now I know not lashing back at the other person requires kindness and understanding. Now I know being strong means being able to say ‘sorry’ even when I know the fault lies with the other person. Now I know the power of sorry.

In the last two days, I have probably said this word more times, than I have in my entire lifetime. And the strange thing is it actually feels good. Feels so good. It gave me a deep sense of peace I haven’t experienced in years. Feels like a huge burden has finally drifted away.


I would like to thank Arun who enlightened me about this word, who encouraged me to say sorry to someone dear and who is the only one who motivates me to continue writing. He continues to give me fresh insights into relationships and its complexities; sometimes making me wonder if I should start calling him ‘Guruji’! Thank you for being such an inspiration Arun! 

Comments

Popular Posts