A Few Thoughts on a Special Day

Happy birthday to me! Yes it’s my birthday today. Guess what? I will turn 30 today. ‘30’. Sounds so old, doesn’t it?. Shinu Shantakumar was telling me the same thing a few days back – ‘30 yrs and mother of 2 sounds so old, Nitha.’

I still remember the day I turned 20. I was kind of excited about entering the 20s. and the 20s sure were the most happening years so far. I graduated at 21 years. Joined my first job at 24. Got married at 25. Had my first baby at 26 and the second one at 29 years. Seems like all the best things in my life happened during the 20s.

But as I enter 30s, there is no such excitement. It’s more of anxiety. I’m anxious about my skin turning dry, anxious about a few grey hairs, anxious about my hair falling out in clumps, anxious about me losing weight rapidly and turning skinny…I guess the first thing I must start doing now is concentrate more on my health and ensure a balanced diet. It is something I have been neglecting thanks to my two mischievous kids.

There is something else I have been ignoring for a long time now. Dancing. I really wish I could resume dancing. After training in classical dance for about 10 years and performing at functions until my last year at college, it’s been years since I have been able to find time for it. In fact, when I mentioned to Silu that I was now into full-time writing, her response was, ‘From dancer to writer?’

Dancing was so rejuvenating. It was a great outlet to vent stress or tensions. Dancing gave me untold joy. And of course it was a nice workout as well. So it is something I need to bring back to my life.

So as you see, there are many things one has to give up as years go by. On the bright side, I think I am becoming more balanced in my attitude as I grow older. I have learned to keep my temper in check. I have stopped shouting at Aman for the slightest reasons. I keep convincing myself I do not have to multi-task all the time. I am an expert at balancing Ayush with one arm and cooking/cleaning/checking mails/making calls with the other!

So once again here’s wishing a happy birthday and long life to myself!

Comments

Popular Posts